Biography:

In the past Ruth E. Westenbroek has collaborated on articles with Susann G. Kaufmann and Aaron D. Williams. One of their most recent publications is ArticleBiochemical properties and subcellular distribution of an N-type calcium hannel α1 subunit. Which was published in journal Neuron.

More information about Ruth E. Westenbroek research including statistics on their citations can be found on their Copernicus Academic profile page.

Ruth E. Westenbroek's Articles: (5)

ArticleBiochemical properties and subcellular distribution of an N-type calcium hannel α1 subunit

AbstractA site-directed anti-peptide antibody, CNB-1, that recognizes the α1 subunit of rat brain class B calcium channels (rbB) immunoprecipitated 43% of the N-type calcium channels labeled by [125I]ω-conotoxin. CNB-1 recognized proteins of 240 and 210 kd, suggesting the presence of two size forms of this α1 subunit. Calcium channels recognized by CNB-1 were localized predominantly in dendrites; both dendritic shafts and punctate synaptic structures upon the dendrites were labeled. The large terminals of the mossy fibers of the dentate gyrus granule neurons were heavily labeled, suggesting that the punctate labeling pattern represents calcium channels in nerve terminals. The pattern of immunostaining was cell specific. The cell bodies of some pyramidal cells in layers II, III, and V of the dorsal cortex, Purkinje cells, and scattered cell bodies elsewhere in the brain were also labeled at a low level. The results define complementary distributions of N- and L-type calcium channels in dendrites, nerve terminals, and cell bodies of most central neurons and support distinct functional roles in calcium-dependent electrical activity, intracellular calcium regulation, and neurotransmitter release for these two channel types.

Original articleDistribution and function of sodium channel subtypes in human atrial myocardium

Highlights•We describe the functional expression of sodium channels in human atrial myocardium.•We examinded the role of TTX-sensitive isoforms in cardiomyocytes.•We propose a role for TTX-sensitive isoforms in normal contractility.

Original articleLocalization of sodium channel subtypes in mouse ventricular myocytes using quantitative immunocytochemistry

Highlights•Methods for quantifying Na channel α subunit immunostaining are described.•Nav1.5 accounts for 77% of Na channels in mouse ventricular myocytes.•Nav1.1, Nav1.3, Nav1.4 and Nav1.6 account for the remaining 23%.•Nav1.5 is expressed on the cell surface and concentrated at intercalated discs.•Nav1.1 and Nav1.3 but not Nav1.5 are expressed in transverse tubules.

A more efficient conditional mouse model of Dravet syndrome: Implications for epigenetic selection and sex-dependent behaviors

Highlights•The conditional F/+:Meox2-Cre+ mouse provides a more efficient genetic model of DS with no parental SUDEP.•The conditional F/+:Meox2-Cre+ mouse model fully recapitulates key phenotypes of the global Scn1a+/− DS mouse.•F/+:Meox2-Cre+ mice are progeny of parents free of DS mutation or phenotypes, eliminating epigenetic selection in breeding.•F/+:Meox2-Cre+ mice reveal the first sex-dependent social interaction deficit in DS.

Sleep impairment and reduced interneuron excitability in a mouse model of Dravet Syndrome

Highlights•DS mice have abnormal sleep with increased brief wakes and reduced sleep spindles.•Delta wave power is reduced in Non-Rapid-Eye-Movement sleep.•Homeostatic sleep rebound after sleep deprivation is impaired.•NaV current and rebound action potentials are reduced in inhibitory RNT neurons.•Selective gene deletion in inhibitory neurons causes the same sleep impairment.

Advertisement
Join Copernicus Academic and get access to over 12 million papers authored by 7+ million academics.
Join for free!

Contact us